Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Loop : Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets (2004)

Our final album as part of the "October 19, 2004" installment is in fact the 2nd record from Mr. Ted Leo featured in this blog series. After championing Hearts of Oak through most of high school, it came as a pleasant, although not all that unexpected, surprise that Shake the Sheets blew even THAT album out of the water.

I had heard a few tracks on my college radio station before the release (in fact, I won the "I Love Skinny Nerds" award that year for excellence in playing him, Ben Folds and Conor Oberst) but I kept myself from hearing the record until it hit stores. I purchased it the same day I bought Jimmy Eat World, however Jimmy's in-store signing and impending show kept it off my MP3 player for a few days as I geared up to geek out at their show. Eventually though I sat with the record. . . . again. . . and again . . . and again. . . . and again. Leo's sometimes fuzzy instrumentation and singing gave way to more polished production and insanely catchy lyrics. His ska sensibilities brought out incredibly poppy music laced with political undertones as we had started a war between this album and the last. His voice sounded stronger than ever and I'd often times find myself singing outloud while walking around campus.

The ironic part of his vocals sounding amazing is that he in-fact suffered what are called "nodes" and his trademark falsetto lead to a larynx cave-in that left him on vocal rest for an entire month. This was a chronic problem and of course one that had him cancel not one but TWO shows in Tucson that I had every intention of driving down to see. It wasn't until March 2006 that I had the chance to see him live in Austin for SXSW. Even though I had a badge, I got there super early to make sure I got a spot, and somehow talked the doorguy into drawing big black X's on my hands to let me into this 21+ venue. I stood in the front through a couple horrible opening bands before Ted came on. I made friends with some of the girls in the front and we exploded from the very first note. He played for a good hour and a half (after having started around midnight, mind you), however near the end of the set it was clear his voice was going out. As he was getting ready to play the last song he asked the audience if anyone knew the words to "Walking to Do" since he didn't think he'd be able to sing it. Without hesitating myself and the girl next to me raised our hands and jumped on stage with him and his band to sing. It was truly one of the most infinite moments of my life. After the show I thanked him and told him how sad I was that he had to keep canceling shows. I then told him the reason was that he was booking in Tucson, and should probably just shoot for Phoenix :)

There's a reason Ted Leo shows up on this list twice and you should probably take a moment, check out his albums and find out why.

This song is nothing short of brilliant:


And because I don't think Ted Leo will come up again, a must-see cover of Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone", equally brilliant:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive