Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Loop : Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther (2006)

Tonight on my way home, I stopped by Duane Reade and ran into my friend and former boss Jason. We both live in the ultra-hip area of Williamsburg, so we walked together and took the multi-train trek to the L train to cut across home. As good music nerds do, we discussed work and recent records purchased and I mentioned how crazy it was that there are already "Best of" lists coming out for 2009. Granted this is the season of the box set and there are very few new releases left, but still, it feels early.

I already have a few records in mind and asked him what he thought his were. It occured to me halfway through saying that that this was the guy who inspired me to even make a "best of " list, after many years of letting records fall into oblivion, only to reappear chronologically through this countdown. Jason sends out a comprehensive "best of" list before we all go on Christmas break each year, but it was the very first one I got after coming on board as a college rep that made a huge impression. In 2006, his top choice was a band called Midlake.

Obviously, because I'm dumb, it took me several months to circle back on this band, even after being impressed by Jason's glowing review. This is a hardcore music guy and this was his favorite of the whole year. Why didn't I buy it sooner? At some point I came across the song "Young Bride", which starts with a haunting string part and soft melodies that Fleet Foxes only WISH they had gotten to first. The entire record plays out similarly, in a sonically eloquent and lush manner. I haven't gone so far as to research if they're telling a story, but it mind-trips you to some sort of forest with language similar to that of The Decemberists, that feels ancient and narrative. Seeing this band live was totally amazing, with most of the instrumentation accounted for at one of my favorite Phoenix venues, Rhythm Room.

We've all been waiting paitiently for the new record, which has finally been slated for early 2010. I'd imagine it was a task trying to follow up with a record like The Trials Of . . . , but I'm fully confident that their next record will end up on my "Best of" 2010 pretty easily.

This is an alternate version of "Bandits" with a beautiful piano intro. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive