Friday, November 27, 2009

The Loop : Hellogoodbye - Hellogoodbye EP

Hellogoodbye - Hellogoodbye EP (2004)

I spent a lot of time in college attending Peachcake shows, a local "electronica" band that I had become friends and worked with a la college radio, etc. They were unapologetically carefree and fun, which drew aesthetic comparisons to the ska scene I had grown up in in high school.

Stefan often spoke of some friends he had in California called Hellogoodbye (which I immediate got confused with local group Goodbye Tomorrow, as did a lot of AZ people) At one point when I was booking a show they were also playing on, he mentioned that this band would come out and play for $150, just to cover gas and expenses. He said that they were pretty big and would sell out the venue, but we didn't really have money so I turned it down (and kick myself every day). They toured with Peachcake early on and I eventually got a hold of their first eponoymous EP.

In the same way that I regret not booking them, I regret not getting into them sooner. This is easily one of the most solidly crafted pop records I've ever heard. While many bands in this genre fall into silly and unlistenable, this was clearly a band with an incredible musical ear. As it were, this 22 minute record was recorded almost entirely by the lead singer Forrest, which made it even cooler. I was immediately grabbed by "Dear Jaime", but "Bonnie Taylor Shakedown" proved to be the astronomical jam with me and my friends, often coming up on shuffle and at the radio station. It seemed so good yet almost effortless, in the same way that they were efforlessly clever and effortlessly fun to see live. They were just an overall solid band.

However, I have no qualms in saying that their full length follow up was nothing short of underwhelming. There were obviously the "hit" songs, but fell short as a cohesive album. It was fairly disappointing and I'm sure had to do with many factors, but I think across the board the fans didn't respond well and shut down. Here was a band that didn't take themselves too seriously and made some incredible music on the EP, but it almost feels like they took themselves too seriously on the LP. However, a few months ago they released the short EP "When We First Met", with the undeniable smash song, "When We First Met". It's taken them in a less synthy, more Vampire Weekend-ey direction and it sounds incredible. I think they've finally found their happy medium. and I'm super anxious to hear what they have next.

The smash jam



And just because I love this new song so much and want people to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the new hellogoodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you wrote! I loved that EP for the longest time and then the full length just lacked completely for me. The new stuff sounds promising though! I can't even pick a favorite off the EP.

    and no matter how much my boyfriend makes fun of/hates them, i'm still keeping them on my iPod!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive