Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Loop : Say Anything - ...Is A Real Boy

Say Anything - . . . Is A Real Boy (2004 and 2006)

I spent the last two nights seeing Say Anything play in New York City. Between that and the fact that they just released their newest album, Say Anything, yesterday, I figured there is no more appropriate time to circle back to the record that started it all for me . . . Is A Real Boy.

We all know about Max. We know that he had some issues and this record was essentially written during a mental breakdown. It's what Bon Iver would do a few years later, secluding himself to write a record, but in Max's case, it was less spooky, sleepy folk and more face-exploding angsty rock and roll.

When I was interning in NYC I had landed a job as a college rep for when I moved back to Phoenix. I still had a few months so the boys loaded me up with all of their recent releases, including . . . Is A Real Boy. I had a fantastic time sifting through all the new bands I'd be working, but when I sat down with the Say Anything record, knowing what I knew about Max and the circumstances of the record, I still thought to myself, "Man, why's this dude SO angry?"

Then I got dumped. Hard. And then I heard, "Every Man Has a Molly" and I TOTALLY got it.

That record ended up playing non-stop for me, from top to bottom, as it had intended to be listened to. There are some incredible melodies mixed with abrasive vocals (meant in the best way possible) and unbelievably smart lyrics. If you haven't sat and read through "Admit It!!!" word for word, I highly suggest you do so. Songs like "Woe", "The Writhing South" and "Belt" are burned in my brain. And seriously, what better way to start record than "This album begins with a song of rebellion!" Genius!

I ended up seeing this band nearly 8 times in less than two years of being a college rep, and they were the last show I "covered" before I graduated. I actually flew home from New York after interviewing just so I'd make it home in time for the show. I saw them in varying capacities : headlining certain venues, opening for another band at another and even a radio show at a HUGE arena with the likes of A.F.I., Taking Back Sunday and OK Go. Regardless though, their live show was unlike anything I'd ever seen. The energy coming from all corners is insane, which made them one of the most fun bands to photograph. You can't fake energy like that, and it's clear it's because the members all really enjoyed the music they were playing.

Wherever Max was before, it's clear where he is now : in a really great place. He jumped on the call with our current college reps and I got goosebumps hearing him talk about the new record and how utterly genuine he was about it. I saw his face last night and tonight and how stoked he is to be doing what he's doing. I realize now that the music he makes was never out of anger, but out of complete and total honesty of some of the patterns of life. Sometimes it's messed up and sometimes it's awesome. AWESOME!

I was going to post the SPIN acoustic version, but you have to see this band plugged in to fully get it. I love that every kid in that audience knew every single word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive