Monday, November 2, 2009

The Loop : Matt Nathanson - At the Point (Live)

Matt Nathanson - At the Point (2006)

In the 12 years since my very first concert, I have seen easily several hundred shows, by nature of my industry and just being a fan-girl. I've come to realize it's almost like an addiction for me, especially now living in what could be the considered the candy store of live music.

However, I've often been asked the question, "If you could see one band the rest of your life, who would it be?" Arguably you'd think I'd say Jimmy Eat World, but to be honest, I almost always answer Matt Nathanson.

Matt has the unfortunate circumstance of being a 30-something, good-looking guy who appeals to the VH1 crowd. It's not unfortunate for the rise in his career, but for being passed off as another good lookin', singer songwritin' dude. What sets Matt apart is just how brilliant a mind he is, not only when he writes some incredible pop songs and lyrics, but as he has become a cult favorite for his quick-witted live performances. At any point when someone is asking me about Matt, I make sure everyone I tell starts with his live CD, At the Point.

I first heard about Matt from my brother (surprise!) who saw him play a set in Phoenix a few years back. I didn't think much about him, even though my brother reminded me a couple of times that I should check him out. I started to hear his cover of "Laid" here and there that I liked and eventually pulled together a nice compilation of songs that I ripped from my dormmate at the New School while I was interning in NYC (I'm going to hell, I realize that) I finally went through my phase with these songs where I'd start the morning with the exact same song "I Saw" and wouldn't feel right otherwise. Not to mention it provided a nice, angsty soundtrack to a nice angsty break-up that summer. So it goes.

That Fall I heard that he would be playing in Phoenix in October and totally geeked out. However, BUZZKILL : it was on the same night as another one of my new favorite acts, Rogue Wave. However I heard about another show he was playing in nearby Tucson, and after becoming familiar with the trek down south thanks to a few Limbeck-watchin' trips with my friend Si, I decided it made total sense to drive down there on a school night and go see him so I could catch both him and Rogue Wave.

I ended up getting there insanely early and enjoyed a burrito nearby to my friend Brittne's apartment (since that was the only navigation I knew other than to the venue) Despite trying to kill time, I was one of the first people to show up at the show, as it goes. I really had no idea what I was in for other than that I loved his music and I wanted to hear "Angel" and "I Saw". I was completely blown away. His quick wit and repotoire with the audience is something that can't be faked. I immediately ran to the merch booth and picked up the live record. Since I had school the next day, and I'm an idiot, I had an hour and a half ride back to Phoenix and Matt to keep me company. I laughed harder than I can remember, probably looking like a crazy person in my car, although thankfully no one was around because no one else was dumb enough to make that trek at midnight on a Tuesday. Honestly, despite my love for his entire catalog, there is no better way to experience Matt than this record.

Take for example the track, "A Line from Lie" Matt starts taking suggestions for songs and a guy yells out:

"Can you just play a line from Lie?"
"From what?"
"Just one line from Lie."
"Aww man, you wanna hear that song Lie? I wrote it when I was young"
"I know, but it's my favorite!"
(awwwwwww's from the audience)
"Well what am I supposed to say to that? You've just gotten awwwww's from hot girls. Don't let that catch on. Soon there will be the guy who says, "Can you play . . . um. . . can you play . . . uh. . . "Crash"-by-Dave-Matthews-it's-my-favorite-song. And my mom . . . um. . . my mom first told me she loved me when that song was playing . . . "
"And it's like (intro to "Crash")"

Obviously this plays out better on CD, which is why you should listen to it, in it's entirety, top to bottom. The cool thing about this record is that it also brings up the age-old argument of the singer-songwritin' guy who sometimes plays with a band but sometimes plays alone and which sounds better. For this, Matt chose to play acoustic, although he even mentions in one of his anecdotes how he plays with a live band. I think that is part of what makes the record so personable and intimite for the listener, which is exactly what happens live at his shows.

The only bad thing about this record? Is that it came out before his album Some Mad Hope had even been recorded. Would have loved to hear a few of those tracks on this. Definitely a nice partner piece after you get the full experience through At that Point and all that is Matt Nathanson. Try not to be charmed, I dare you.

This has a healthy dose of banter at the beginning. And he's wearing a Newburry Comics shirt! Indie record stores FTW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive