Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Loop : Rocky Votolato - Makers

Rocky Votolato - Makers (2006)

This album almost didn't make the cut for this list. In the four hours it took me to dig through my music, I had somehow rationalized that Suicide Medicine was the album that got me into Rocky and that Makers was a good album, but not worth writing about.

However, I saw Rocky play last night in NYC, completely stripped down (no mic, even) after several years of not being on the road. (I almost didn't go to this, either, but thankfully I saw a video of a new song he played on another "living room tour" stop and snagged one of the last 4 tickets) He was fragile and honest and played several songs off Makers that immediately got me riled up and go "wow, what an amazing song". The show was kept intimate on purpose, so Rocky shared a lot (more than I ever remember him doing before) about the meanings behind the songs. I guess in my emo naivety I just assumed all of his lyrics came from life experiences, but it turns out that many of them are songs based on either books or events, such as Suicide Medicine 's "Prison is a Private Property" about the Enron scandal and "Suicide Medicine" about someone with mental illness. He even mentioned that he recorded the song "Makers" in Alan Ginsberg's apartment in NYC and that we were in fact seeing the show just a few floors up from where he used to write. You really would have never know considering the passion that Rocky sings with not only live but on record, making one assume that every song had something to do with him. Maybe that's not what music is always about?

This album was as intimate as his performance was last night. Even though he was a story teller , there are a few personal songs on the record like "Tinfoil Hats" that was written about his son and "Goldfield" about riding through Nevada. It was less ornate than Suicide Medicine, but withi more abstract lyrics. His guitar work is seamless and simple, and the beginning riffs of "White Daisy Passing" and "Uppers Aren't Necessary" are nothing short of haunting. Over the years we saw Rocky get married and have children, which I think provides a fascinating insight to a very bachelor culture.

Nothing much more to say, except that I'm glad I was reminded how good this album was. I might need to go through my list and make sure I don't leave anything else like this out.

PS- A few years ago I was out with friends after a Blood Brothers show and Rocky's brother Cody Votolato came by our table. After putting two and two together I turn to him and say "Really? Your last name is Votolato?! I love your brother!!!" I think he got offended and left. Chalk one up for folk rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive