Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Loop : Right Away Great Captain - The Eventually Home

Right Away Great Captain - The Eventually Home (2008)

As was made clear by the super-long review I did of Manchester Orchestra's first record, I quickly got really into that band. Chances are I geeked out via Facebook or MySpace like I tend to do and it caught the eye of a friend who mentioned that Andy had a side project called Right Away Great Captain. I knew I had seen the name float around in the course of my learning about Manchester, but I hadn't really thought twice. She pointed me in the direction of his first record, The Bitter End, which quickly sparked equal amounts geek-outs.

The project actually consists of 'concept' records, as described by Wikipedia as being "a concept record focusing on a 1600's sailor at sea for 3 years, each song being a journal entry to his family at home or his captain." I didn't know the theme for a while, and just assumed that Andy's world-weary lyrics in Manchester also carried over to this album, which pinned him as way older than his age. Even though I know now that it's a story, the lyrics still speak louder than most other 21 year olds are able to say.

While The Bitter End got me into the project, it was The Eventually Home that proved it's genius. As it were, it took me a long time to get the record. I had heard through various internet sources that it would be coming out, but forgot to follow up. Then, when it did, I forgot to remember to look for it. It happens to me a lot, actually, where I sit down to browse iTunes or go to a record store knowing there was something I meant to buy, then getting distracted by other albums or whatever. As it were, I didn't end up getting the record until early 2009 when my mood lent to the tunes and it finally clicked.

This record continues the story, but musically steps up to an entirely different level. I hate to even use the term "side-project", because Andy feeds as much passion into this as he does his full-time Manchester Orchestra gig. And even if he doesn't, it certainly sounds like it, even while telling someone else's story. It's a stripped down, guitar and piano heavy record, layered with dreamy vocals and harmonies from a familiar voice. The songs become less conversational and more hook driven, making the flow of the "story" even easier to digest, even if you aren't aware of it. According to Wikipedia, this album "conveys the journey of a 16th century sailor who has been betrayed by his wife who has committed adultery with his own brother. In this second part of the planned trilogy, the sailor returns home in the song Memories From A Shore."

Needless to say, I'm anxious to see where the third record leads. My only complaint being that this HAS taken a backseat (obviously) to his Manchester touring duties, because I'd LOVE to see this performed live. Unless of course, it's something that simply needs to exist in the story. Buy both records, start from the top, thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers