Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Loop : Cassino - Sounds of Salvation

Cassino - Sounds of Salvation (2007)

One of the many perks of my job as a Sony College Rep was that once a year, all of us college reps got together and spent a week in NYC, meeting with people from the company and seeing shows together. To this day, some of my closest friends were college reps with me. We are the only people who know this exact experience and it was always hard to explain to my friends. We were a dynamic bunch and had so much in common from the first time we met each other, even though 99 percent of our year was spent in our respective cities.

That being said, we all kept in touch on social networking sites sharing various inside jokes and noticing how on the Sunday night before a report was due on Monday, we all seemed to be online :) This was a great way to share our lives even far apart, and they'd often get my bombardment of events that were radio station or local music related and I got to see theirs. The Dallas rep, Jenni, sent a message to all of us about her boyfriend's band who was self-releasing their record, Sounds of Salvation. The band was called Cassino and they were familiar to me already because I listened to their former band Northstar in high school (thanks to a mix CD from my friend Sterling) I hadn't seen them play or anything but really enjoyed the song. Jenni sent out a few more notes about it when it came out, and I purchsed the record on SnoCap.

The song that really caught me was "Tin Man's Throne", with it's heavy guitar strumming and lyrics like "I need you here so I can move my bones" and a beautifully dreamy "and carry on the end . . . " sandwiched in there. It is very much in the vein of what I had become familiar with in Arizona, sort of a dusty, folk/country/americana rock band with jangly breakdowns and piercing, deliberate insturmentation. The lead singer's voice has always been very distinct, and carries nicely over this change of tone from his Mae-like emo punk band. It just simply felt like they grew up (as most tend to do)

I've been fortunate enough to be exposed to music like this, be it through my work or just in passing. Happy to share this with you like Jenni shared it with me. Enjoy.

And speaking of, Jenni makes an appearance in this video! It's really lovely, although all instrumental


And something that's not all instrumental, so you can hear his recognizable voice:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers