Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Loop : Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child


Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child (2007)

[So this was first released in 2006 and then re-released after their major label deal in 2007. Since I didn't realize this, and absolutely HAVE to include this album, I'm considering the re-release. Not sure which one I actually bought.]

I went to SXSW in 2006, trying to gather ideas for my college radio station, being supremely bummed out every time I walked to a show to find it was 21+ (I was 19 . . . what a bust!) I spent my days in the panels and my nights getting to as many shows as possible and I was very fortunate to have a badge and be able to bounce around as long as my feet would keep up with me. Usually it wasn't an issue just walking into a show, but as I arrived to see Belle and Sebastian, I saw a huge line outside of Stubb's. Cool, whatever, I'll wait.

SXSW is very much like rock and roll summer camp. You go from place to place and everyone talks to everyone, because we're all there for the same reason. As I was waiting in line, I start talking to a young bearded guy with the general SXSW small talk ("So, what do you do?/ where are you from? /did you see Morrissey's sweet pomp in person? Me too!") I mention that I'm with college radio from Arizona and he mentions his name is Andy and he's in a band from Atlanta called Manchester Orchestra. He invites me to their Paste magazine showcase the next afternoon, and I graciously accept. However, the next day I was torn between that, a Rogue Wave Day Stage showcase and one of the many dorky panels I wanted to attend, so I ended up not going. (shame on me, Midlake and Josh Ritter both played. Man, I suck sometimes) Turns out, he had the wrong kind of badge and couldn't get into the concert, so I didn't see him after that.

A year later, I was browsing through (*surprise!*) Paste magazine and see a little write-up on the band, and I recognize the name and that familiar beard. "Hey, I met that guy! Cool!". I get all amp'd up and head to our campus record store to find some new tunes and low and behold there is their debut release "Like a Virgin Losing a Child" on the listening post. Finding the coincidence funny, I take a listen to a few tracks and buy it. Later that night, I'm looking through the local concert calendar (can you tell I'm a nerd?) and I see that Brand New is FINALLY playing a smaller venue in Phoenix, which I had been holding out for. I go to grab my credit card and I see that their direct support is . . . Manchester Orchestra. This is all in the course of just one day, and all too coincidental.

That night I post on my LiveJournal (geez, how many hipster cliches can I squeeze in here?) and write a bit about how I'm excited for the show, and how funny it is that Manchester Orchestra keeps popping up, and how much I liked the album I just bought. The next morning I see I got a comment that says

"Hey, I remember meeting you! Let's stand in line together at Brand New. - andy"

Talk about a small (internet) world. Making the world even smaller, I chased them around to see them live a couple times, worked this record as a college rep in Arizona and am now working the band's newest record in the Sony college department. And to this day, Andy STILL remembers the story. It's fun to see four years of a band's growth, starting from practically the beginning.

However, by listening to this record, you'd have no idea that they were a) a relatively new band b) super young dudes. The best part about this record is the timing. I often say my one biggest regret is that I can't quite comprehend how music is written, from scratch to what's eventually put down. I understand good music, and stuff I like, but am fascinated by the songwriting process. This band is one of the most fascinating, with an incredible pop sense amongst loud to quiet times. It's one of those records where I find a new thing I hear every time I listen. Lyrically it is haunting, especially knowing how young they are. You can practically peel the layers off of Andy, but never really scrape the meanings of these songs. This is someone who has channeled his world-weary into some really smart songs.

Not to spoil any surprises here, but this isn't the first time you'll hear about this band on this list. Needless to say, they've only gotten better.


Ha! Here's an awesome video of Manchester Orchestra playing at Stubb's in Austin, the same venue where we met in line. Looks like he finally got in :)


1 comment:

  1. this is really good! thats definitely my favorite video of them.

    ReplyDelete

Followers