Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Loop : Something Corporate - Leaving Through The Window / North


Something Corporate - Leaving Through The Window (2002) / North (2003)

In honor of seeing Mr. McMahon play a solo show tomorrow night, I felt I needed to revisit two records that may not have made this list if I had kept ignoring them. This was definitely a band that I outwardly didn't like, and I still can't remember why.

I recall first hearing them when the song "If U C Jordan" was on a Drive Thru Records compilation I got in high school. I remember listening through the whole disc and almost always skipping over that song (which come to find out was their most successful mainstream single) I was so engrossed with bands like New Found Glory that hearing Something Corporate just sounded like a knock off (they even mention New Found Glory in "I Want to Save You")

Then they kept circling back to me. It started with going to Target with my friend who bought North and us listening to it in the car. Then it was really liking "Space" when it hit rock radio and throwing it on a few mixes. Then it was downloading "Ruthless" on what I called the "Radio Mix" that I ended up using at my Senior year choir banquet. Then it was listening to Andrew's new project, Jack's Mannquein at least 1.900 times while driving to, from and in Los Angeles with my friend Allie. Somehow, over all those years, this band just kept coming back.

It wasn't really until I moved to New York for my internship that I really sat with either record. I've put them both on one because I never really separated them. One day I decided I should listen to this band and I wanted to listen to everything, so I just put it on shuffle and ran with it. It carried me through some pretty rough times in living away from home for the first time, a brutal break-up and overall transition. They spoke from the perspective of a girl a lot and I was able to relate even though i was used to adapting the lyrics of a traditionally boys club.

Despite myself, this band has been a part of my life for a while. These records still have a place when it's late at night, I'm on the train and craving the west coast.

I realize this is totally boring, but this is my favorite song and this band was a tad too early for YouTube so deal:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive