Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Smashley's Top 5 Album List (Thanks Hoodlums)



So in honor of Record Store Day on Saturday, I'm taking a cue from my all-time favorite record store, Hoodlums Music in Tempe. They are hosting a "High Fidelity" night in conjunction with their neighbors at Changing Hands bookstore, and asked their employees to come up with their top 5 albums under the following categories. I'm not going to pretend that I know as much as Steve from Hoodlums knows. During my days as a college rep, I'd be very careful as to what bands I'd mention around him, for fear he'd catch me being the major label sell-out that I am (all in good fun of course) Steve is one of the smartest people this business has, and I'm so thankful he and Kristian were able to continue stickin' it to the man in their brand new store. I have yet to find a record store in New York that I like as much. As I fill this out, I've come to realize that I a) didn't really grow up on music and b) have so much more to learn, so maybe a few hours in a record store each work would do me some good.

My Top Five Lists, by Smashley

“You don’t have this?” albums (like Jack Black’s comment on Blonde on Blonde).
Ryan Adams - Cold Roses
Jimmy Eat World - Clarity (you'd be surprised)
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Hearts of Oak
Ben Folds - Whatever and Ever Amen
Elliott Smith - XO

“Watch me sell this” albums (like Cusack about Beta Band).
(in place of this, here are bands I was surprised I could get people to pay attention to in the past)
Boys Like Girls - s/t
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
Metro Station - s/t
Citizen Cope - Every Waking Moment
MGMT -Oracular Spectacular (seriously)

Albums for your hippie-chick sister.
Imogen Heap- Speak For Yourself
Grizzly Bear -Yellow House
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Bon Iver - For Emma Forever Ago
Blitzen Trapper - Furr

Groups you didn’t like at first – but love now.
Jimmy Eat World (seriously)
Wilco
Nada Surf
Fleet Foxes
Denison Witmer

Groups that critics hate – but you love.
Matt Nathanson
Jimmy Eat World
Incubus
Jack's Mannequin
Joshua Radin

Albums critics love – but you just don’t get.
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Handsome Furs - Face Control
Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
Calexico - Garden Ruin
Of Montreal - . . . most everything. I do love their live show though

Albums to listen to on the road
Limbeck – Hi, Everything’s Great (sorry Andy, we're all too similar)
Jack's Mannequin - Everything in Transit
Jimmy Eat World - Futures
Nada Surf - Lucky
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

Songs about the Music Industry
Reel Big Fish – Sell Out
Ben Folds - One Down and 3.6
The Format – The Compromise
Sara Bareilles - Love Song ;)
Ben Lee- We're All in This Together (they don't play me on the radiooo!)

Punk albums (90’s-now)
The Adicts - Rise and Shine
The Libertines - Up the Bracket
MxPx - Life in General
Alkaline Trio - Goddammit
Horrorpops - Hellyeah!

Jamming Guitar Albums
Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - The Tyranny of Distance
My Morning Jacket -Z
What Laura Says - Thinks and Feels
Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth

Albums you found at the ASU Hoodlums
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Manchester Orchestra - Live a Virgin Losing a Child
Busdriver - Roadkillovercoat
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Denison Witmer - Are You a Dreamer?

Albums you have discovered at the new Hoodlums
(in fairness I haven't been around much for new Hoodlums, here's what I bought last time)
Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP
The Swell Season - The Swell Season

Older albums that you have discovered recently (old is so relative...):
DeYarmond Edison - Silent Signs
Doves - Lost Souls
Cursive - The Ugly Organ
Brian Jonestown Massacre- Thank God for Mental Illness
Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant EP

Newer artists for middle-aged cats who still explore music
The Gaslight Anthem
Bon Iver
Kings of Leon
Jimmy Eat World
Ben Folds

Sunday-morning albums:
Nada Surf - Let Go
The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
Great Lake Swimmers - Bodies and Minds
Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
Sufjan Steves - Illinois

Concert Videos
-I honestly don't own any

Reasons CD is better than vinyl
I can import it on my computer
I can't stand when vinyl pops
Not having to get up and turn it over every 6 songs
More portable
More available

Concerts you have attended
Ryan Adams - Rialto Theatre, Tucson AZ
Jimmy Eat World - Tempe Beach Park , Tempe, AZ
Bon Iver - Music Hall of Williamsburg - Brooklyn, NY
The Weakerthans/ New Amsterdams - Webster Hall, New York, NY
Jim Adkins/The Format/Reubens Accomplice Acoustic - Galvin Playhouse, Tempe, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers