Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Loop : Another Year on The Streets Vol 2. - Vagrant Records Compilation

Another Year on the Streets Vol. 2 - Vagrant Records Compilation (2001)

This record was definitely a Zia Records (40th and Thunderbird) find during one of our many trips there. As I recall, it only cost about $5, which is probably as much as I had (although I made serious bank babysitting) I was thinking about this last night, how it seems sort of self serving to want to brand your record label all over your artists, when if anything, we should be the silent wizards of our Oz in these cases. There are very few labels that I can say I'd trust by their roster alone, which isn't really a bad thing. So many labels are great about having a diverse and comprehensive list of artists, so there's no way to assume that I would love Columbia record's Avett Brothers just because I love Bob Dylan (although I do). There is something about a certain built in legacy, but I feel the goal of a label is to adapt and try new things.

However, as I was growing up, there were definitely the labels I always trusted. Lookout!, Drive Thru, Sub Pop and the subject of the next album, Vagrant Records. This was a 22-track disc that had everything from Dashboard Confessional to Alkaline Trio to Saves the Day. At the time, i was really into Saves the Day, but I honestly can't remember if I already knew Dashboard, etc.

At any rate, the tracklisting out of all of the Vagrant comps is SO impressive, and doesn't fall victim to the curse of mish mashing different artists. It feels like they really took the effort in sequencing the record to keep you active and interested in some of the other bands inbetween the ones you already loved.

The standout tracks for me were Sweet Marie by The Anniversary, Ups and Downs by Saves the Day, the original acoustic version of Hands Down by Dashboard Confessional, Alone by Rocket from the Crypt and Hell Yes by Alkalkine Trio. I feel like the comp reflects sort of the last gasp of the late 90's, early 00's straight up punk rock bands with some Face to Face and Viva Death curve balls. You started to feel the shift to either really melodic punk or straight up girly emo (I'm looking at you, Chris Carraba)

I ended up buying the other Vagrant comps, but none of them held up to this one (although Saves the Day "Sell My Old Clothes, I'm Off to Heaven" is on Vol 1, and probably my favorite of all their songs) I think there's something to be said that the Audio Learning Center song "Favorite" is featured, and sets the tone for me discovering some of my favorite bands.

Track Listing :
1Hot Rod Circuit - The Pharmacist

2Audio Learning Center - Favorite

3Saves the Day - Ups & Downs

4Dashboard Confessional - Hands Down

5The New Amsterdams - Picture in the Paper

6The Anniversary - Sweet Marie

7Hey Mercedes - Weekend Starts on Wednesday

8Alkaline Trio - Hell Yes

9Face to Face - Bill of Goods

10No Motiv - Give Me Strength

11The Get Up Kids - Central Standard Time

12Rocket From the Crypt - Alone

13Viva Death - Trust Me

14Hot Rod Circuit - Radiation Suit

15Audio Learning Center - The Shell

16Hey Mercedes - Everybody's Working for the Weak

17Dashboard Confessional - Screaming Infidelities

18Saves the Day - Nightengale

19No Motiv - New Beginnings

20Face to Face - A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

21Alkaline Trio - Metro

22The Get Up Kids - New Found Mass (2000)

MUST listen to track [Sweet Marie - The Anniversary]:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers