Wednesday, August 19, 2009

SFTB #3 - Colorstore/Sweetbleeders Double Feature



So since I fell short and didn't do last night's post, I decided this would be a good time to revisit the appearances of Colorstore and Sweetbleeders. Two for one. Like this blog post. Here's why:

I first heard Sweetbleeders at Stinkweed's during their annual sale at the old Apache Blvd location. I remember being completely immersed in all they had going on and spent the rest of the night trying to figure out what they were called. I eventually caught up with them a few years later, buying the CD and rocking it on The Basement. It was unpretentious and one of those records that made you feel like you were floating.

I eventually got them on an episode of The Basement and was surprised when I saw Mark from Colorstore there since he played with them. I hadn't had a chance to see them live since the Stinkweed's performance and didn't put it together until I saw him there. It turns out that they are, for lack of a better term, inversed of each other, with Robin taking lead in Sweetbleeders and Mark taking lead in Colorstore. It may not be easy to hear on first listen of both bands, but each album has distinct differences, even with the same minds creating them in different capacities. It's fun to take the two and make it a point to listen carefully, which is what music should be anyway.

Later that semester I had Colorstore on, with Mark at the healm, and used the song "Lunatic" on the Sounds from the Basement compilation. The whole situation got me thinking, especially after moving to NYC, how interesting a scene Arizona has. The biggest difference between what should be the music capital of the world and AZ is that musicians are actually fostered in the desert.

It seems as though every band has a member of another band that has played with another band who collaborates with someone in another band to form a band that played with the lead singer's side project. You'd go to parties and meet other musicians and the bands were careful to look out for one another. One of my favorite things, although I don't know if it exists anymore, is a group of a few art district bands that created a checking account to save up and support each other when they go on tour. That is trust, and that is what a community is about.

I haven't felt that here, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. I feel like no band is truly a "New York" band, but Arizonans are so proud to be from AZ and anxious to work and create together.

That's really lucky.

Check out more:
www.myspace.com/sweetbleeders
www.myspace.com/colorstore
www.purevolume.com/theblaze1260am
Photos:

Sweetbleeders - Jan 2008

Colorstore - Feb 2008



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers